Volunteer Job Description
There are many reasons to volunteer at Family Crisis Shelter—because you are concerned about domestic violence, sexual assaults, and human trafficking, because you want to meet and work with people who share your vision, or because you have a talent you can share to help make a difference for people in need in your community.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- 24-hour crisis hotline operator
- Developing and Fundraising Events
- Special Events
- Clerical Filing
- Donation Organizer
Family Crisis Shelter Response Team:
This position is responsible for conducting crisis interviews with callers via the 24-hour hotline. Crisis Response Volunteers will be available by phone to victims at critical times from any community based setting. Volunteer staff the crisis hotline during assigned shifts, and provide advocacy, triage, and information and referrals to victims of violence in need. Staff back-up will be available at all times for accompaniment of the victim to community based services as well as emergency shelter. Volunteers will report to the Director and may have interactions with Victim Advocates.
- Conduct crisis interviews with callers to the 24-hour hotline.
- Contact staff back-up in order to secure transportation and emergency placement for callers who are in immediate danger.
- Follow protocol for placement of families/individuals in immediate danger when the emergency housing is full.
- Initiate staff back-up to respond and provide on-site consultation to victims of violence who are referred by hospital emergency rooms, courts, and any other community based setting.
- Provide information and referral to other organizations as appropriate.
- Advocate with other organizations for services as needed for callers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience is crisis counseling; domestic violence, sexual assaults, human trafficking, or other relevant work experience is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Working knowledge of issues as they relate to domestic violence, sexual assaults, and human trafficking.
- Completion of Volunteer Training.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to use cell phones.
- Ability to read, write and communicate English.
Family Crisis Shelter Job Responsibilities:
- Transport clients per request.
- Limit trips to exact specifications.
- Engage in friendly conversation, but avoid offering advice or counseling a client.
- Keep conversations to a minimum and encourage client to discuss issues with an advocate.
- Notify advocate immediately of any concerns you may have following transporting a client.
- Background Check
- Family Crisis Shelter Orientation and Training
- Volunteers must possess a valid driver’s license and current proof of insurance.
- Volunteers must always drive using the highest level of vigilance for the safety and well-being of everyone involved.
- Must agree to abide by the policies and procedures of the Family Crisis Shelter.
- Be willing to wait for clients to complete their appointments.
- Must be willing to work independently.
- Possess good people skills.